Computer: Toshiba Satellite L745D
Work Order: Laptop gets extremely hot on the left side and shuts off.
Temperature Readings: Over 89 degrees celsius
Disclaimer: Perform service at your own risk. Read the entire page for warnings and cautions before commencing work.
Caution: At 2:43 in the video, please take extra care when removing cables. Also the upper cover comes off abruptly, make sure not to pull it too hard to avoid any cables getting tangled along and cause damage. Watch out for Wi-Fi cable.
At 3:40 in the video please be careful when removing the motherboard. There is a power cable underneath and if care is not taken it can easily break. In some cases that can cause damage to the motherboard leading to expensive repairs. When motherboard is removed laptop weight will shift and it can fall backwards, be sure to secure the screen.
Call us at 416-223-2525 and we will gladly service this laptop while you watch and learn.
At 4:40 in the video make sure small heatsink screws are moved away from the work area and in a safe container. If you use a vacuum cleaner to remove dirt these screws can easily get sucked in and lost forever.
Common steps and precautions when servicing a laptop:
- Always have anti-static protection. Avoid this project if you don’t have static protection. At minimum touch something metal and grounded every minute with both hands. Single static shock to the motherboard has 80% chance of rendering your computer useless leading to costly motherboard replacement or repair.
- Always remove battery and other power sources. Never use force, if something does not want to come out easily then there is likely a screw holding it down – check your work.
- Be careful with delicate plastic parts, some can snap very easily.
- Take extra care and make notes of where screws go. Replacing longer screw where it doesn’t belong can potentially be deadly for the computer, especially if you use power tools.
- Don’t use power tools unless you are experienced and have a lot of control on the tool, in that case you likely won’t be reading this anyway.
- Before assembling entire laptop make sure you test it by powering it up. Check to make sure the fan works and you get display on the screen.
This Toshiba Satellite L745D came in to our Toronto office because it was overheating beyond usage. It would shut down after a few minutes of usage. Our test revealed that the temperature was rising too high too fast and we took it up to 89 degrees celsius before deciding to shut it down preventing any damage.
NOTE: Video does not show replacement of thermal paste because the camera shut off during that time. It is strongly recommended that thermal paste be repalced. Use alcohol to clean CPU and heatsink and replace with high quality paste. We use Arctic Silver 5 and it works amazing on all applications.
If you run into issues while servicing the computer a technician at PCNix Toronto can give suggestions free of cost – however, we suggest that if you are not comfortable performing the repairs then bring it in for service. With appointment we can service this laptop while you watch and learn. Call 416-223-2525 today.