Computer: Asus G73JH Gaming Laptop
Problem: One memory module overheats, keyboard connector broken. Computer overheats.
Solution: Motherboard replacement and Heat-sink service.
Caution: Asus G73JH is a very complicated laptop. If you’re not comfortable, take this computer to a professional for service.
This is a lengthy video closing in near 20 minutes. Actual repair will take significantly longer. Patience and steady hands will be required.
History: Owner of this Asus G73JH laptop was replacing memory module that sits under the keyboard and isn’t user replaceable and ultimately broke the connector that goes to keyboard. This connector is extremely small and requires precision ball soldering without guides to hold the solder balls – that’s humanly not possible and if so, would be very expensive to repair. Motherboard was also malfunctioning with one user replaceable memory module creating excessive heat affecting stability of this computer. Owner’s ultimate decision was to replace the motherboard. Once we started taking this machine apart we discovered that heatsinks were choked completely, this video also shows servicing of both left and right heat sink so it can be referenced for service of this laptop as well.
Need your gaming Asus laptop repair in Toronto? Call us at 416-223-2525 and we will gladly help.
– If you don’t have static protection, drop this project and get a professional to handle it.
– Always remove battery and power adapter before disassembling the computer.
– Connectors on this board are fragile, take extra care when removing and replacing those connectors.
– Connector at the bottom center of motherboard will hide underneath and installing the replacement board, make sure you don’t miss it.
– Right heatsink does not want to sit properly and will need some work getting it right.
– Wi-Fi and webcam cables both on left and right hinges tend to get in the way of the hinge, take extra care because they will get pinched requiring replacement of expensive cables and dis-assembly of LCD screen.
– Reinforce video connector with thermal resistant tape. Use only approved tape that can take excess heat.
– Connecting video card requires minor adjustment. Screws will go in place with card slightly misaligned and will malfunction, can also lead to motherboard damage.
– Always mark screws and replace them properly, although this laptop is fairly large longer screws where short ones are needed will likely damage the motherboard or at best, the case.
Stuck? We can help. Call us at 416-223-2525